Continuing Education (CE) at the University of the District of Columbia Community College (UDC-CC) provides continuing education units (CEUs) that validate the successful completion of studies by learners who participate in approved courses and workshops. The UDC-CC CEU protocol, outlined below, is set in accordance with requirements of national standard organizations including the International Association for Continuing Education and Training.
In order to meet national standard CEU provider status, the protocol must be followed. If the protocol is not followed, CEU’s will not be awarded. Any questions and/or concerns should be addressed to Director of Continuing Education Neil Richardson.
In all cases, designated instructors confirmed by CE will lead classes/trainings for which CEU’s are offered. If a designated instructor is not able to attend, CE reserves the rights to withhold the award of CEUs.
- Certified Provider: CE and UDC-CC will be responsible for certifying all classes and/or training and will pursue the highest standards in delivering CEUs.
- CEU equals 10 contact hours: One CEU equals 10 contact hours of participation in organized continuing education classes and/or training conducted by a qualified instructor. A contact hour is one full hour (60 minutes) between an instructor and learner.
- CE at UDC-CC is responsible for the declaration of CEU completion. CE is responsible for providing a system for identifying participants who meet requirements for satisfactory completion and will maintain permanent CEU records for individuals. Records will be readily accessible to individuals and provided as a transcript upon request.
- CEU’s cost $25.00 per contact hour. For courses requiring the award of a CEU certificate there is a fee for processing and certification. In most cases, the course fee will include the certificate; all syllabus/course descriptions should confirm this. There is a $20.00 replacement fee for certificates.
In 2009, the division of Continuing Education was reconstituted as part of the University of the District of Columbia Community College.
*CEUs awarded by the University of the District of Columbia in the years prior to 2009 are the responsibility of the trainer/provider as stipulated in the document Criteria and Guidelines for Awarding Continuing Education Unit. UDC-CC will assist but not be responsible for locating and identifying CEU’s prior to 2009.
**CEU’s awarded prior to 2009 cost between $15.00 and $25.00.
CEU Records and Transcripts
Transcript Fee: $10
The following specified items of information are to be included on all CEU records and transcripts:
- Name and address of UDC-CC;
- Name and Social Security number or other numerical identification of the individual participant;
- Title of the program or activity (the title should be as descriptive as possible);
- Completion date of the program or activity;
- Number of CEUs awarded;
- Report of assessment results or other criteria for satisfactory completion;
- Additional information, such as current address and telephone number, may be included.
CE will be responsible or partner with approved organizations for providing appropriate facilities or online services to support the successful conduct and completion of a class/training. Required support materials may include text books, instructional aids and equipment will be the responsibility of the individual unless otherwise noted.
Program Criteria: CE will be responsible for determining or confirming classes/course of studies and trainings.
CE and its designated instructors will be responsible for providing course/training guidelines including the following at least one month prior to the beginning of a class/training unless otherwise specified:
- Detailed agenda/syllabus;
- Instructor/presenter bio;
- List of all materials needed;
- CEU provision statement representing the guidelines regulating the award of CEUs;
- Sign in sheets or online equivalent;
- If necessary, location of proctored examinations/testing;
- CEU certificates.
Online Class Requirements
For online classes, learners are required to complete registration form and must complete the online orientation for that course before being admitted to an online classroom. All fees must be paid in full prior to start of program. This process must be completed for every course for which a student registers.
Short/Long and Live Classes
Continuing Education offers many distance learning options as well as live classes. All of our classes can provide Continuing Education Units (CEU’s) and we offer both Career Diplomas and Certificates in a wide variety of online classes.
We also provide courses with live instruction. See the CE Course Guide for available classes.
Our online classes generally fall into two categories:
- Short program: 6-8 weeks in duration:
Continuing Education at the Community College of the District of Columbia offer a wide range of highly interactive courses that you can take entirely over the Internet. All of our courses include expert instructors. Our online courses are affordable, fun, fast, convenient, and geared just for you. Ready to explore our catalog?
View the available courses.
- Long program: 2-12 months in duration:
Having the right skills is vitally important in today's competitive job market. With Continuing Education at the University of the District of Columbia Community College, you're assured of learning up-to-date career skills that will prepare you for the jobs of today and tomorrow. Our staff is continually updating our programs to reflect the most up to date and desired classes in today's workplace.
You'll learn much more than the latest techniques.
You'll also learn about opportunities in your chosen field and get important tips on achieving your career goals. Many of our programs also feature "hands-on" experience with today's technology.
The success of our students proves that our training works. It is designed for busy people who know what they want out of life, but don't have the time to attend classes.
Here are just a few of the benefits of choosing our program for your education needs:
- Affordable Tuition - You can train for a new career at a price that won't break your budget. Your books, equipment, and learning aids are included in your affordable tuition price.
- Convenience - The lessons and learning aids you need (if any) to complete your training are sent right to your home. There's no commute to classes, no need to rearrange your schedule. Study where and when you choose, and still have time for your family and social life.
- Reliability - You can be certain of receiving high-quality education that could help you get where you want to go.
- Support - Even though you learn at home, you're never alone. You can be assured of getting all the help you need from your instructors, consultants, and the rest of our dedicated staff when you need it. When you have a question, help is just a toll-free phone call or an email away.
There's never been a better time to start working toward a new career or business of your own. And you can start immediately – today if you want.
When you're ready to enroll, simply follow the steps provided on this website. It's easy to get started.
Specialized Training & Workshops
We also partner with a variety of local organizations to provide CEU’s for participants and are actively seeking more partnership opportunities. We work with corporate, governmental and non-profit organizations in providing specialized training sessions, organization change and strategic planning programs.